Monday, June 4, 2007

A Weekend in Paris

I love Paris.

It doesn't smell, the people aren't rude, and you're never more than 10 yards away from somehow who knows English (a definite plus due to my French vocabulary of about 5 words).

Another plus, the undergroud metro system is ridiculously easy to navigate. The couple times I've been to New York City, I've been completely baffled by the subway system in less than 5 minutes. Maybe it's just me, but it makes absolutely no sense to me. Paris on the other hand, I mastered instantly, thanks in part to my nifty little guide book which was well worth the 10 euros I paid for it.

I saw all the major sites, climbed to the top of most of them, and thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. The church at Montemarte is so far the prettiest I've seen. Standing with the gargoyles on top of Notre Dame was awesome. And, although we had to wait an hour in the blazing hot sun for it, the view from the top of the Eiffel Tower was breathtaking. At night, we managed to find the little brass band from our school in Lille playing on the banks of the Seine. I should really have an entire entry dedicated to this band. During random periods of the day, you can hear blasts of a trumpet coming from down the hallway, and it's really not that good. At night when they perform, they dress in some form of goofy pink costumes and the tubas are covered in pink fabric.

We're getting kicked out by a class...more later.

No comments: